PNP General Hospital: Then and Now (Excerpt from A Capite, Ad Calcem - HS 17th Anniversary Edition)
In 1950, an Infirmary was built with a twenty-five (25) capacity as a support unit to the Philippine Constabulary Command, located in Camp Panopio, P Tuazon, Quezon City. It served as an extension facility of the Victorino Luna General Hospital. It ws named the Constabulary Station Hospital with a fifty (50) bed capacity on MArch 1, 1955, later it would be renamed as the MPF-CAPCOM Hospital.
In its website, the PNPHS vision states: "A modern Health Service rendering optimum health care at par with other well known Health institutions in Asia by 20126." Its mission statement is: "To provide timely, comprehensive and quality health services to PNP personnel, their dependents, and authorized civilians." So will they be better than the best hospital that the Philippine hospital industry can come up with? Looking at these statements, the PNPHS betrays the fact that it they themselves do not know that they had lost their relevance. Health services to policemen nowadays is best dispensed at the numerous public and private hospitals dotting the country as compared to the PNPHS whose main hospital inside Camp Crame is nothing more than a glorified clinic.
Even its Director, PCSUPT Federico Damatac was rushed to St. Luke's Hospital in E Rodriguez Avenue, a good 5 kilometers away and in Manila's traffic, not less than 30 minutes of travel when he was shot by Poscablo, in the Multi Purpose Hall of Camp Crame, a stones throw away from the PNPGH. Ironically, Poscablo the criminal was treated at the PNPGH--and both of them have the same injuries: gunshots.