Wednesday, June 23, 2010

VERY, VERY STUPID BANGIT!

I know that this title will again stir not only a few angry remarks but I cannot anymore contain the frustrations that I have kept to myself for the past few days. Actually, I was about to applaud Bangit when he declared that he is retiring early but with his latest remarks, I think I have to say my piece.

In an earlier post, I called Bangit a stupid but greedy and ambitious officer. This did not sit well with one of my readers who posted a defense for Bangit. But with Bangit’s latest remarks made during his speech as outgoing CS, I would dare say again that HE IS STUPID YET GREEDY AND AMBITIOUS BEYOND COMPARE! AND NOW LET ME ADD: HE IS ARROGANT AND UNFIT TO BE CALLED AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN.

He said a lot of stupidities in that speech and I intend to dissect all of them one by one but let me focus with the portion that I have the most beef at. He said,

"I am concerned that because of what happened to me, people will think that the position of AFP Chief of Staff is co-terminus with the President. It is not and will never be,” he told the audience, which included outgoing President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

When I read these remarks on the papers, my jaw dropped and exclaimed, “My God, who is this Bangit? Was he really the Chief of Staff?” This is because as the highest mammal leading the military organization of the Philippines, it is expected that he is well-versed with the legal, moral, ethical, and all the other basis of his and his organization’s existence. At the very least, he should have known the legal basis.

In case he did not know it yet, the AFP was created under COMMONWEALTH ACT No. 1 titled “The National Defense Act.” Officially, it is “AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE NATIONAL DEFENSE OF THE PHILIPPINES, PENALIZING CERTAIN VIOLATIONS THEREOF, APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFOR, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”

If he had not read it yet after 36 years in the military service, let me cite for him the most relevant provisions that are applicable in his case:

Article I, Section 2 (d). The civil authority shall always be supreme. The President of the Philippines as the Commander-in-Chief of all military forces, shall be responsible that mobilization measures are prepared at all times.

Article II, Section 22 (b). Officers shall be commissioned in the Army of the Philippines subject to such examinations for the determination of fitness and proficiency as the President may prescribe. All appointments and promotions shall be made by the President, but the appointments and promotions in the Army from the rank of colonel shall be made with the consent of the Commission on Appointments of the National Assembly.

Article II Section 23 (a) The Chief of Staff shall be directly subordinate to the President of the Philippines.

Had Bangit cared for the AFP like the way he said he cared for it, he should have made himself thoroughly well-versed with the legal basis of his existence. This way, he should have realized that his career as a pure soldier ended at the rank of Lt. Col. considering the fact that after that rank, he had to directly kowtow with the politicians especially those in the Commission on Appointments. And kowtow he did. In fact, I would dare say that he politicized himself more and better than the others and in the end, these political connections propelled him to the highest military post of the land way ahead of his time and way ahead of his many seniors.

Bangit has to acknowledge that this political factor intensifies as a soldier move further up in the hierarchy and culminates at the Chief of Staff position wherein the enabling law found it necessary to define it with a very special, separate, and specific article: “Article II Section 23 (a) The Chief of Staff shall be directly subordinate to the President of the Philippines.” This simply means one and only thing: the CS position is a position of confidence and in GMA’s time, Bangit benefitted the most from it. If he dares to deny this, then let him deny this in front of Classes 76 and 77.

The Board of Generals and others what-have-you may make recommendations, but in the end, it is the President who decides. Remove that prerogative of the President and the civil authorities and imagine the possible chaos that it will bring.

At this stage, Bangit should take heed from Jackie Chan in Rush Hour: “I like to let people who like to talk, talk. It makes it easier to find out how full of shit they are.”

Bangit should keep his shit to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you think!